Posada Amazonas Lodge is a comfortable jungle ecolodge owned by the indigenous Ese-Eja community of Infierno and is managed in partnership with Rainforest Expeditions. It is located within an Ese-Eja 9,500-hectare (37 square miles) private reserve on the banks of the Tambopata River next to the Tambopata National Reserve, part of the Amazon in Southeastern Peru.
Guests stay in large single, double, twin or triple bedrooms, each with a private bathroom with hot water showers. All rooms overlook the rainforest, as one of the sides of the rooms is open like a windowless porch, allowing guests to enjoy the forest even while they are relaxing in their rooms.
Accommodation bookings come complete with all meals and nature and cultural excursions such as a visit to a 42-metre canopy tower with excellent views over the rainforest, a parrot claylick, Tres Chimbadas Lake, inhabited by a family of the endangered Giant River Otters, nightwalks and an ethnobotanical tour, amongst others.
Optional activities include a wellness and holistic centre for massages and aromatherapy, canoeing, mountain biking tours, all bookable at the lodge itself.
Posada Amazonas Lodge is a two-hour trip from Puerto Maldonado by bus and boat (one hour each), making it an excellent choice for even short visits to the rainforest. Visitors are picked up at the airport and transported directly to the lodge.
This lodge is co-managed with Rainforest Expeditions, a Peruvian ecotourism organisation set up in 1992 that combines tourism, macaw investigation and conservation and local sustainability projects. Its other lodges are Tambopata Research Center and Refugio Amazonas Lodge.
Facilities and Activities at Posada Amazonas
- Meals and excursions are included with your booking.
- A generator provides electricity twice a day to recharge batteries.
- Lamps and candles provide light at night. Electric bulbs are used in public areas.
- Wireless Internet access available in common areas.
- Hot water showers
- Transfer service included to and from Puerto Maldonado airport
- Wheelchair accessible
- Luggage storage available
- Laundry service only available on sunny days
- No parking available
- Special diet meals can be provided with prior notice.
Surcharges apply to the following services
- Wellness and holistic centre offering massages and aromatherapy treatments
- Biking tours
- All rooms come with spacious private bathrooms
- Rooms are private but not soundproof
- All bedrooms equipped with mosquito nets, bedside tables and clothing storage area
- The bedrooms’ fourth wall opens directly onto the surrounding rainforest so guests can experience the rainforest more intimately (the rooms are not known to attract mosquitos)
- 42-metre canopy tower and jungle trails (see Activities, below)
Activities (all included with accommodation booking)
- Tres Chimbadas Lake, an oxbow lake where you’ll have the chance to see Giant River Otters and lots of other wildlife
- 42-metre canopy tower with views over the rainforest
- Parrot clay lick
- Jungle night walk
- Ethnobotanical walk