Refugio Amazonas Lodge is a charming ecolodge that caters for families and larger groups located within a 200-hectare (one square mile) Brazil nut forest, a private ecological reserve right next to the Tambopata National Reserve, part of the Amazon, in Southeastern Peru.
Guests stay in one of the lodge’s 32 large rooms, each with a private bathroom with hot water showers. One of the sides of each room opens directly out onto the rainforest, offering visitors a more intimate connection with their surroundings. Guests can choose between a spacious double or triple room.
Accommodation bookings include all meals, transfers and a wide range of excursions such as to a 30-metre canopy tower with excellent views of the rainforest, claylicks (mammal and parrot), Condenado Lake, to get a chance of seeing the endangered Giant River Otters, and cultural activities such as a visit to the neighbouring Brazil nut concession.
The lodge offers one of the few rainforest trails in the Amazon designed specifically for children and a children’s playground. Optional activities include a wellness and holistic centre, bookable at the lodge.
The lodge is two hours from Puerto Maldonado by bus and boat (one hour each).
It is also home to the headquarters of the Wired Amazon Program, and the lodge offers opportunities to get involved with the scientific work.
Refugio Amazonas Lodge is the newest lodge operated by Rainforest Expeditions, a Peruvian ecotourism company established in 1992 that combines tourism, macaw research and conservation and local sustainability development. Its other lodges are Tambopata Research Center and Posada Amazonas Lodge.
Facilities and Activities at Refugio Amazonas Lodge:
- Meals and excursions are included with your booking
- A generator provides electricity three times a day.
- Lamps and candles provide light at night. Electric bulbs are used in public areas.
- Dining room is a large open building with views from second floor
- Wireless Internet access available at night
- Hot water showers
- English, Spanish, French, German and Italian spoken
- Transfer service included to and from Puerto Maldonado airport
- Wheelchair accessible
- Luggage storage available
- Laundry service only available on sunny days
- No parking available
- Special diet meals can be provided with prior notice.
- Children’s playground and rainforest trail for children
Surcharges apply to the following services
- Wellness and holistic centre offering massages and aromatherapy treatments
- All rooms come with private bathrooms
- Rooms are private but not soundproof
- All bedrooms equipped with mosquito nets, bedside tables and clothing storage area
- The bedrooms’ fourth wall has no window or screening of any kind to allow guests to experience the rainforest more intimately (the rooms are not known to attract mosquitos)
- 30-metre canopy tower and jungle trails (see Activities, below)
Activities (all included with accommodation booking)
- Condenado Lake, an oxbow lake where you’ll have the chance to see Giant River Otters
- 30-metre canopy tower with views over the rainforest
- Mammal clay lick
- Parrot clay lick
- Jungle night walk
- Night-time caiman search
- Visit to neighbouring Brazil nut concession
- Ethnobotanical walk
- Farm visit